Forum: Photography

Subject: portable lighting - and cheap?

jchimim opened this issue on Dec 09, 2002 ยท 10 posts

JordyArt posted Fri, 13 December 2002 at 5:07 PM

Hey Jc. I'm still waiting for the page for that link to come up, but just from a practical side about using halogen work lamps; I can tell you from experience they are not to be in any way classed as portable due to the fact that they generate considerable heat which stays in the lamp and body for some time. You try a 30 minute setup & shoot, and you'll either be waiting an hour for it to cool down or burning your hands/ equipment/ car when trying to get away in a hurry. Also, while operating halogens produce enough heat to happily melt anything like umbrella's if too close. Regarding reflectors, I'm not sure where you are but here in the UK we have discount shops that sell everything for 1. During this year I've picked up some of those sunshades there for the car - you can get the ones for the full windscreen or just the side windows. I've got both sizes in a 'foil' effect, and the several colours they are available in (silver, gold etc). The side window ones are great coz they've got a wire frame built in whoch you can twist to shape very easily. Worth watching out for and VERY cost effective, even if you have to pay slightly more than that, and work excellently. (",)