Forum: Bryce

Subject: Good Art, Bad Art and Overthinking

DryFly opened this issue on Dec 16, 2002 ยท 41 posts

rhettro posted Tue, 17 December 2002 at 4:53 PM

I believe it is the difference between "Art" and "Illustration." I would characterize most of what appears in the gallery as Illustration, an attempt to an imagined thing, place, person etc. in a realistic way. My definition of Art (meaning the visual arts) would be that which tries to convey a story, stimulate thinking or bring about an emotional responce. I think of computer generated images in much the same way as airbrush illustrations, a medium that is most useful for rendering ideas in a realistic way. Looking at illustrations one is generally looking for technical skill, or images that are hyper-real. Being computer users, in my opionion, makes us most likely to be illustrators and we look through the galleries with that intent. "Art" on the other hand typically doesn't bennifit from a quick glance. It's "message" may require a careful study, not likely to show up in a thumbnail. This is why I tend to look for high quality illustrations here and Renderosity. If I'm looking at Art then I'm more likely on a website devoted to a particular artist whose work I enjoy. -Rhettro