Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Modular house WIP

Questor opened this issue on Dec 18, 2002 ยท 46 posts

williamsheil posted Thu, 19 December 2002 at 7:54 AM

Hey John, Nice to see you're still dropping in to pick peoples brains. The only 'architectural modelling' app I have is the freebie version of Floorplan3D which outputs monlothic DFX files, which need a lot of work for texturing. People seem to use a very disparate variety of modelling apps so I agree with Questor; it would probably be a mistake to aim for one specific tie-in. Best, I think, to implement such a thing as a plug-in, just make sure that your touted 'open SDK' is up to the task. I've had a 'environment/set generating' module for Poser Python on the drawing board for a long time, with a few smart feaures like object/polygon intersections and splitting to simulate CSGs (possibly dynamic, so don't forget those frame/worldspace callbacks), imported floorplan generation, semi-random layout, lighting generation and vertex displacement mapping for primitives (I was interested to see if I could use a fractal displacement on an inverted sphere to create a convincing cave space). If you're thinking along similar lines, then a bit of healthy competition wouldn't hurt, although I'm cooking a few other thing up first, so you may have a good head start. Something along similar, but simpler, lines could make a good early freebie to help 'condition' new Studio users to the concept of marketplace plugins. A few quick questions while you're here (no need to answer if there's an NDA issue): CSGs? Implicit Surfaces? Volumetrics? Patches/Splines/NURBS? Shaders? Command Line Interface (esp. to support batch rendering, ie, open doc, render and save image/animation, close app - this would also help you a lot in automating a test suite for the renderer)? Option to open as default a randomly posed vicky (naked) in a temple with a sword (this would be a great time saver)? And one for LD: Omni Lights? Bill