Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Modular house WIP

Questor opened this issue on Dec 18, 2002 ยท 46 posts

Questor posted Thu, 19 December 2002 at 6:41 PM

I tend to agree with Cooler on this, I strip the normals out using UVMapper. In all honesty I've not found any problems importing that stripped object into Cinema or Bryce with the normals missing so it's never really something I've considered a problem, and it does save size. Poser re-inserts normals when you export a scene using one of it's filters so again it's not really an issue that many users will come up against. Williamshell: Yes, omni lights do increase render times and shadow map calculation and they are more complex in nature as a result of the "light" emitting from them. It also would require a ray-trace engine to render properly (I think), something which poser has lacked until now. Unfortunately, even with an upgraded render engine they still didn't "fix" the lighting model they use. I personally consider that rather tragic. Having said that. Creating a dozen or so spots to represent a single standing lamp creates a similar delay in shadow map calculation. Add more than one lamp into a scene and the calculation increases exponentially. So in that respect it wouldn't have hurt so much. Also in defence of CL, Poser was never really designed as a render engine nor for the purposes to which it's found itself applied to. It was and is a basic humanoid positioning program that's a prelude to the application of other artistic mediums to finish. I still think they missed the boat in so many ways, but in other ways it's understandable.