Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: Pocket Protector required on this one...

_dodger opened this issue on Dec 19, 2002 ยท 18 posts

_dodger posted Mon, 23 December 2002 at 4:39 AM

I don't write Python, sorry. Nor does the version of Poser that I have have anything called a 'room'. I won't upgrade to Poser 5, and I don't bother with PPP. On the GUI program -- I'm sure there are a number of programs out there, but IMO that's not as nice as having modules for your language of choice. GUIs are nice sometimes, but sometimes I really think that the command line makes things easier, and programming even easier. For a simple example, expressed in Windows terms -- if you're usingthe Windows Explorer GUI and, say, want to delete all files with the stirng '_old' in their name, you have to select each of them manually. You can't sort by reverse of name to drag-select them, and the normal Windows GUI won't let you stick a * in the address bar to limit those shown (the file-open variant will). You have to at least ctrl-click each in turn. Then you either drag to the rubbish bin or at least press 'Delete', after which you are prompted with a dialogue that asks if you really want to do this, which I think is kind of dumb becuase you're not really deleting anyting anyway -- if you made a mistake, you can easily recover from it. Then you have to switch over to the recycle bin itself and select 'Empty Recycle Bin' before it's (sort of) really gone. In DOS, you just type 'del _old' and the job is done. GUIs are really rather overrated, and only useful for some things. Well, maybe the AUI will be perfected soon and GUIs will become application-specific and otherwise a part of history.