Forum: Community Center

Subject: Proposed Changes to AOY voting

CyberStretch opened this issue on Dec 23, 2002 ยท 89 posts

CyberStretch posted Mon, 23 December 2002 at 1:37 PM

"That wouldn't work either Cyberstretch, because the Poser contests get far more votes than the other galleries (not because that galleries art is better or not, but because it's far more popular a place), and thus it would always be the Poser AoM that would get AoY...Which would leave a lot of great artists like Hobbit, who won last year, out of it..." Good point that I did not think of. Perhaps if I amended the suggestion to state that the Top Artist for each category/forum could be determined the way I described then a member vote based off the Top Artists is used to determine the AOY, would that suffice the discrepancy? Of course, one must consider that the voting percentages from each category/forum could be unequal (ie, there may be more Poser voters than Bryce, for example) therefore potentially swaying the voting again to a Poser vs a Bryce artist. I think the overall removal of any contests/"popularity polls" would be a disservice to the community for the following reasons: 1) IIRC, the prizes are usually donated by site sponsors. The site sponsors benefit by showing generosity and interest/involvement in the community. 2) R'osity benefits from attracting more artists. 3) The artist(s) benefit from the pride and prestige of the award. 4) The community benefits from being exposed to other artists' art, and the potential to win something they may/may not be able to afford. It could work out to a win-win-win-win situation; like I would imagine its original intention was supposed to be. I also like Brendan's suggestion of showing the person who voted and their vote vs a blind ballot type vote to be another "check and balance" of reducing potential "ballot stuffing" or "miscalculations".