Forum: Community Center

Subject: Dear Tammymc

Mosca opened this issue on Dec 24, 2002 ยท 256 posts

dialyn posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 12:38 PM

You are wasting your time, because none of this is about ethics, principles, or what is right. It isn't because of the moderators or administrators. It isn't because of some mystery conspiracy to rig the vote by the powers that be(the point of which is lost on me--how it would profit them has never been explained and I don't care anymore). It is about ego. And being the star of the farce. Applaud. Let the star take his bows in the spotlight...which was the point all along. Let the costars take their bows. Applaud, applaud. Throw roses for the good job of attention getting. Enjoy the fact that we have all been manipulated. We all had our roles to play, and we did it well. We have become alienated from each other, allowed ourselves to get provoked into personal attacks, found ourselves on the defensive for no good reason. Volpone and his servant would be delighted at how skillfully this was all done. And I concede...it was well done. My hands are red from clapping in my appreciation for the accomplishment. But isn't it time to close the show and move on? Even farces stop being funny if they go on too long. There is no real point to it. And, at the end, no one wins. I know Legume is well liked here. His popularity is not under dispute. I don't think there is anything unethical about encouraging your friends to vote...would you vote for your enemy? Is he the greatest artist of all times? Well, I get the impression he thinks he is the best of anyone here. He may be. I'm no artist. But then I wouldn't buy a $5,000 toilet from an art gallery when I can buy one for $75 in a hardware store. One is art. One is a porcelein fixture. The fact that they come from the same manufacturer seems to make no difference. I am no critic and never will be a judge of art, and have no claims to such. I wouldn't vote for Legume because his art doesn't appeal to me...not because I can evaluate his technique. So I probably shouldn't be voting because of my ignorance. Oh well....works out for the best in my case. At heart I think this whole charade of a debate has nothing really to do with making sure the best artist wins the award. But I imagine the play is going to go on...so I am getting back in the audience to watch scene #10002. I don't suppose we could finish this in time for the new year, could we?