Forum: Community Center

Subject: Proposed Changes to AOY voting

CyberStretch opened this issue on Dec 23, 2002 ยท 89 posts

CyberStretch posted Sat, 28 December 2002 at 9:51 AM

kbennett: Glad to have you aboard. ;0)

"AOY be decided by a cumulative annual total of the AOM votes. Probably (but not definitely) this would result in a Poser artist being the AOY every time since the Poser AOM contest is likely to get the most voting."

Is the AOM always a Poser artist? If not, then this proves that the biases over one program do not seriously affect the outcome of the voting.

"A minimum time of membership before being allowed to vote. As stated before, this would eliminate instant clones. One problem I can forsee is that this would disbar new but valid members from voting, which might not be acceptable."

Many sites that I have seen use this technique for trying to deal with clones. If it is stated right off the bat that "upon registering, you will have access to all public site features with the exception of voting in contests/polls until you reach [insert target metric]", then no one could have a problem with it. I think it is an acceptable risk to take to resolve some of the clone activity.

However, length of membership should not be the only criteria. I could set up a clone, wait [time interval] and begin to wreak havok. I would suggest a more thorough set of criteria based upon what information is stored.

From the top of my noggin, what metrics do we have to work with:

Suggested Voting Methods: - Cumulative Voting: It would appear that this may/may not be possible but introduce some voting biases based off the percentage of the membership that vote per given forum.

Have I missed anything?

Going off what I have, we have the following potentially viable metrics to consider:

Combining the three in a database query would be relatively easy. However, does this resolve enough of the potential problems to make it worthwhile?

When you get down to the "brass tacks", you can see the potential problems and that an "easy solution" may not be that easy. ;0)