Forum: Community Center

Subject: List of Naughty Words?

ASalina opened this issue on Dec 25, 2002 ยท 51 posts

ASalina posted Sat, 28 December 2002 at 1:01 PM

A little background: I've known PunkClown since I started hanging out in the Photography forum sometime last year. From that experience I can tell you that he is not only a good photographer, but is generally a jovial and good natured person with a sense of humor. I was actually quite surprized to discover, recently, that he was a moderator. I was even more surprized when I saw his comment in Legume's gallery, because it seemed to run against my perception of his character. We all get angry sometimes and lose our sense of humor, and that I reasoned, seemed to be what was happening with PunkClown. It would be one thing to quietly and dispassionately remove a TOSable gallery comment, but to also post a comment stating that you had done so, and were debating taking the image down as well sounded very much like a threat; the kind of threat that has a "chilling effect" on speech/art. I mean, if you're debating whether to pull an image or not, fine, but what's the point in telling everyone before you've made a decision? I got the impression from PunkClown's comment that he was getting a bit too personally involved. I started this thread for two equally weighted reasons. One was that I really would like a clarification on what's concidered appropriate behavior here. I come from a part of the net where people are much more "harsh" with each other, and am used to taking some lumps (maybe I should become a mod :-), but I also believe that when in Rome one should do as the Romans do; I just needed a clarification on what, exactly, the Romans do. My other reason for starting this thread was indeed to "tweek" PunkClown; to be just a bit sarcastic in order to get PunkClown to consider/debate his actions in an actual forum rather than in a gallery where one is only allowed a single comment. Perhaps that was imprudent of me. So for myself in the future, perhaps I should IM a mod with complaints and questions privately, and as well, mods would be wiser to IM offenders privately with their intent and reasons. Perhaps in this specific case it would've been wiser to give Mosca a chance to remove and re-write his own comment using tamer language. Ah well, I guess you can't be human without occasionally being imprudent. And that goes for both PunkClown and I. And P.S. I still think PunkClown is a good guy.