Forum: Community Center

Subject: List of Naughty Words?

ASalina opened this issue on Dec 25, 2002 ยท 51 posts

PunkClown posted Mon, 30 December 2002 at 5:49 PM

Whew! Sounds way too complicated for me, but I'm sure a programmer would understand what would be involved! I'm not sure if the system isn't working just as effectively as an "automated" process would now however; usually if there is a troll, the person who has been trolled IM's a mod or admin, who then asseses each case on an individual basis (often in consultation with other mods/admins to get as wide a view as possible) If anything is reported as "offensive" in the galleries or forums, that too is treated in the same way. As you said, no system is foolproof or failsafe, but I'm honestly not sure the present system is so flawed as to need such an extensive overhaul. The whole premise of the "149 more cleanings I had to do" which somehow expanded to "checking every thread or post" (so as not to appear inconsistent) was initially based on ASalina's questioning me on censuring one particuilar word, and thus may be a bit distracting. I did try to clarify that I wasn't interested in across the board censorship of "vulgaraties"/swear words, only if used in a destructive context, and this brings us to the point that there are many members who are extremely erudite in their use of language and could "troll" without swearing or indeed triggering off any flags an automated process would pick up. It is a very complex and involved process it seems to me. Thanks for your thoughtful analysis of the whole idea CyberStretch, I do appeciate the time and consideration you have put into this thread. I apologise to all if I appeared overly defensive (or petulant) at times but I felt as if my points about "context" and being a "person" etc. were not being heard, or at least being very misunderstood. Language systems are so complex and open to misinterpretation, that this is bound to happen whenever a group of individuals attempt communication. Perhaps if we were just robots transferring binary information regarding external variables with no involvement of emotional overtones or personal viewpoints & attitudes then the paths of communication would be free of misinterpretation (but surely very boring!)- as it is, we are human beings dealing with other human beings, with all the joys and pitfalls that comes with that!
Have a Very Happy and Healthy New Year all, no doubt we will continue to communicate in 2003!
:-D>