Forum: Community Center

Subject: Dear Tammymc

Mosca opened this issue on Dec 24, 2002 ยท 256 posts

tutone1234 posted Fri, 03 January 2003 at 2:18 PM

Tammymc has asked me to make a comment to this thread in regard to the issues surrounding contest voting. This thread is entirely too long for me to acknowledge comments and suggestions made by everyone here - so I'll just state the issues that we face in regard to programming as well as being fair to all members of the community. 1.) We do record IP Addresses of each member. However, we cannot exclude multiple votes from one IP Address given that so many members of the community have dynamic IP Addresses assigned by their ISP. 2.) We do have programming constraints in place that will only allow each member/username to vote one time. 3.) We are discussing the pros and cons of putting restrictions on how quickly a newly registered member will be allowed to vote to minimize clone voting. However, this is far from fool proof as well since the clone may not be able to vote for a limited time - but once the probationary period has ended the clone will be able to vote on everything. We are also undecided on whether or not it is fair and welcoming to new members to be placed on "probation" because they are new to the community. 4.) We have limited time and/or personnel available to allocate to babysiting the contests and investigating each and every "suspected" clone. 5.) In addition, we have constraints in place that make it difficult for members to register excessive amounts of clone accounts. With that said - we are still discussing ideas on making the voting processes as fair and clone free as possible and are willing to consider any viable options suggested by the community. Thanks. Tommy