Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: what about regular 'ole Poser 3& 4??

Marie opened this issue on Apr 21, 2000 ยท 14 posts

chadly posted Tue, 25 April 2000 at 7:17 PM

Marie- I feel your pain. :) At Zygote we also use Poser3 all the time. We want our products as well as our weekly free models to have the widest audience possible. As a result, they are almost always created in P3. (Though when they do require exclusively P4 functionality we work in P4, of course.) Also, I have to admit, P3 requires less memory than P4, so we usually use it to create the images for our site as well. As far as your concern that Poser3 and 4 users will still have access to new models that will still work in 3 and 4, I think that you're okay for the most part. Though I can't speak for Curious Labs, I know that they are very concerned about backwards compatibility, and will not change the model format. Your more realistic concern is that people will start creating models that require conforming clothing, transparencies, or other P4 functions, or that they modify the extra content that is included in P4 (or eventually will be in P5). It's a tough decision. Ultimately P3 will be fairly obsolete for file trading purposes, I would imagine. Poser2 currently seems to be in that situation. (Zygote certainly doesn't sell anything for P2.) I'm sorry for this negative side to improving a product, especially as Zygote is a major contributor to it. However, just for the record, Zygote does not make any money from Poser sales, and would certainly not intentionally modify models for a new version of Poser so that users had to buy a new version of something that they already had. Thanks for the feedback, Marie. -Chad Zygote Media Group