Forum: Community Center

Subject: Proposed Changes to AOY voting

CyberStretch opened this issue on Dec 23, 2002 ยท 89 posts

tammymc posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 10:07 AM Site Admin

I have been posting in other threads ongoing about the AOM/AOY and have communicated that we would continue with our current system until we have a better one. One of our programmers has posted in the TammyMc thread as well. I have been monitoring this forum and ws planning on taking some feedback to the admin next week. I appreciate all the posts that people have been giving especially trying to come up with good solutions. I will try and address some of the potentials that you have listed and communicate our side. Cyberstretch - we already limit emails. Only one email can be created within this community. If you try to sign up with an email already taken, it will not let you. The problem we are having is that people go and sign up with freebie emails....and join as another member. If we consider IP addresses, then we have the issue of dynamic IPs, static IPs that are used by several people, and anonymous IPs. We have considered limiting votes to members that have been here for a period of time, but means that they would be able to use their clone votes and we would basically be restricting new members which would be approximately 8000 if we look at a 30 day period. We have not thought about forum posts and voting. Have to think on this one. E-bot voting - we have not thought about this as well. We do list the AOM voting in our weekly newsletter which reaches 70% of the members. We know that the percentage for participation in the AOM is very small. If more members would vote, that would make a difference. We put information about the AOM in the welcoming email to new members. We include this in our newsletter, and place on the front page. I don't want to come across as downing the suggestions. It is that we have some time discussing the issues of the AOM for about 2 years now, so we have a head start on you. : ) In my opinion, this is not an easy solution and that is why we have went through 4 different ways of trying this. 1. First, admins selected the AOM. This did not include participation of the community so wanted to improve. 2. Second, Members nominated and voted. Too much cheating. 3. Third, private nomination committee with members voting. Cheating decreased tremendously but the committee did not quite work well. 4. Fourth, mods/admin nominate, members vote. Has been the best system we have found. The AOY will always be mods/admin voting at this time. I hope this helps with the discussion. thanks tammy