Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Steve Cooper and Larry Wienburg Ousted!!Poser orphaned Again?????

wolf359 opened this issue on Jan 14, 2003 ยท 61 posts

CyberStretch posted Tue, 14 January 2003 at 9:35 AM

I, for one, do not think that Poser will be orphaned. Nor do I think that DAZ or any major 3D software house will buy it off EGI; at least not yet. I think the restructuring is meant to get the house in order and, possibly, polish P5 so EGI can, hopefully, recoup some of its investment losses in CL. Given the release state of P5, I would be willing to bet the only way to do that would be to start from scratch. Since most of the new features seem to be modules licensed from other companies, this may/may not be a huge undertaking. Also, the current state of P5 would not seem to warrant a high enough selling price. However, if P5 becomes a viable and stable product that recaptured the marketshare it used to command, then EGI would have incentive to either keep it in their portfolio or sell it off to the highest bidder. I do think that Poser, being a leader in a niche market, has enough market potential to try to resuscitate. The advent of DAZ Studio - which appears to have a year's headstart in the "built from scratch" department - could change the landscape of the niche market; especially if it comes out and is a vast improvement over P4PP and P5. IMHO, DAZ would be foolishly spending its money to purchase Poser solely for the purpose of being able to use the Poser Proprietary File Formats. The File Formats are ASCII text and can be easily viewed and imported/exported. Likewise, reverse engineering for the purpose of program interoperability is legal. DAZ may want to formalize the ability to use the File Formats as a professional courtesy by purchasing the rights to do so, but buying Poser outright would be a waste of money when there is already considerable finances being spent on DAZ Studio.