Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: More memory for poser or upgrade CPU?

Darboshanski opened this issue on Jan 14, 2003 ยท 23 posts

keihan posted Wed, 15 January 2003 at 5:48 PM

Take notice that they are talking about the MIN setting. If you look at my earliest post, I mention setting the minimum between 1-2gb. The maximum setting doesn't apply here because that is changed on the fly only if windows needs it. The problem occurs when Poser is first executed and the amount of VM, at the time a figure is loaded, exceeds the 4gb threshhold (better chance of winning the lotto unless you've set the min at or above the threshhold). The threshhold can be exceeded without a problem while, let's say, Poser is rendering which would happen if physical plus available VM is exhausted (not very likely). A lot of programs would have a problem if the page file is larger than 4gb at execution. Some have a problem when it's only 2gb. My recommendation is always set the min at about 1-2gb. There is always an issue with older windows versions, however. Let's say WIN 98. On occasion (hehehe OK more than just occasionally) win 98 will not dump the page file like it should. However, if you set the minimum to 2gb when the system is rebooted and windows restarts, the page file will be resized back to 2gb. Server versions of windows handle this much better.... NT, 2000 PRO and XP or XP Pro