Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: I have one simple question.........

BillyM67 opened this issue on Jan 21, 2003 ยท 81 posts

compiler posted Tue, 21 January 2003 at 3:38 PM

Sorry BillyM67, I don't take this. If you feel more happy to make up meshes and clothes, great, I respect that. I don't have the skills to do so and don't wish to spend time learning. It is also a fundemental right to me. Clothes, props, meshes, lights, etc... All these are tools. If you follow your own steps, then why didn't you make your own modelling software ? And why didn't you make your computer yourself ? I can think of a few sites were people make extraordinary meshes and textures and illustrate them with images on the low level range. Not everyone can do everything. It is not mandatory for someone who would like to be an artist to be Leonardo da Vinci. Great things can be achieved by working together. Rodin would have been much less of an artist without someone who had the skill to properly melt the bronze. Both men were working together to achieve something artistic, each one doing what he was best at. Now, if you are talking about art, it is a matter of personal taste. Many learned people like the collages you despise. What is art to one looks like rubbish to another. And there are those, like me, who are not artists, just hobbyists. They are just trying to do something artistical, and from time to time, one of them succeed. As for originality. It could be said that replicating clothes meshes already existing in reality is a lack of imagination, whereas 3D modelling could give birth to a whole new, imaginative and innovative world. Art doesn't always come from originality. How many thousands of times has Holy Mary been painted/sculpted ? The same person, the same clothes, the same attitutde (more or less) and yet, what a diversity ! What great number of styles ! And what differences between poor artists and geniuses. I can understand that it may be frustrating for someone to work for days on a mesh and then seeing someone who just toggles it for 2 hours getting his 15 minutes of fame for posting it. Yet, you cannot fight the facts : arranging these is an artform, compare it to Nature Morte if you wish (posing an apple and a bucket together and drawing them), hate it if you wish, but you cannot deny that it can bring beauty, which is the definition of an artform, in my opinion. Giving life to inanimate objects / meshes / props is an artform. There is one thing on which I agree with you, though : there are those who post something just to achieve a sort of fame, or just to show what they just have bought. Every community has this kind of guys. We just have to learn to live with them and try to discern art from fake. Lastly, let me hope that my poor english did not betray me. If you find something offensive in the text above, I do apologize : it wasn't my intent. Compiler