Forum: Photography

Subject: Another cat...

MarcusExe opened this issue on Feb 11, 2003 ยท 13 posts

JordyArt posted Wed, 12 February 2003 at 10:05 AM

Sorry, Marcus - please don't take this personally, coz I'm not having a go at you - you just happened to be the first person to do it......lol When I said about cat pictures, my main point was that they are like any other subject; a good photo of them is great. Unfortunately, like any other subject, a bad photo is just that; (Not saying this is bad, don't get frustrated or start IM'ing me...yet) Ok, ignore the fact it's a cat. Replace the cat in your mind with......I dunno..... a model soldier. The background has other objects in to take your eyes off it (dark/light objects together on the right, material with heavy texture and dark bit of thing on the left of the cat). The blow-out from the top would be acceptable if a) it was intended and b) it was even - the dark uprights and that orangey bit on the left take that 'endearing feature' out. As regards the cat itself, the DOF is good, and the focus is good. It has a nice expression. If this was a model soldier, there wouldn't be a single decent comment on it.... but it's a cat so it's ok?? Obviously I don't know the cat at all, but this looks like a generally relaxed an natural pose that shouldn't be hard to recreate under better 'technical' conditions, and produce a really great cat pic. Once again, please don't take this personally Marcus; if you read my posts over the last 2 years or so you'll know I'm not a malicious guy, and I'm definately not aiming this at you coz of anything personal - In fact I'm not aiming it at you, but at all of the photo viewers who are happy just coz a picture has a bit of fur and a pair of green eyes....... Ok, kiddies, floodgate is now open....... he he he. (",)