Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Daz3d copyright

cmjackson opened this issue on Feb 18, 2003 ยท 73 posts

who3d posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 9:34 AM

It's pretty simple if you think about it, I reckon, from the point of view of the vendor/artist. You can't just spin a few dials and spawn a morph and then hope to sell that - at least not without declaring source and paying a license fee to the vendor (AFAIK DAZ aren't implimenting this idea at present) as there's not enough actual original effort being put in. You CAN use magnets, 3-rd party 3D editing programs (3DS Max, Rhino, Cinema4D etc. etc.) to create totally original morphs not based on just spinning a few dials, and sell the resulting morphs as "new characters for" the model they're based on (provided you remove info like the face data - known as "squishing" I think). Vicky3 provides a comparatively new and interesting way - albiet not as friendly to P5 as P4 - of adding such character data to models with less technical know-how needed by the end-user (INJection Morphs). I assume "face files" (also known as "expressions"?) would be both sellable and feeebie-able because they don't contain the hard work of the original artists... but so-called "custom morphs" or "custom characters" which are actually based on existing morphs from DAZ rather than "real 3d work2 using magnets and/or 3D modelling tools are "to be frowned on" (possibly from a great height).