Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Daz3d copyright

cmjackson opened this issue on Feb 18, 2003 ยท 73 posts

who3d posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 11:12 AM

I hope I didn't cause the confusion? Let's have another go. You make a vampire that's as good as your Orc in rhino - that's a morph or maybe an INJection morph for Mike/Vicky2/Vicky3/whatever character you started with. You "squish" it so that there's no actual mesh, UV textures or normals - just a dot cloud. that's legal to "share" (free or for money). If you include a pose file which uses an existing "fangs" dial which sets the fangs AND your custom morph, that is also good. If you make a morph in rhino which uses any existing copyrighted morph you're on slightly dodgy ground - though you should be OK with any morph that came as part of the base package. HOWEVER - if you use a paid-for morph (fangs) which is an add-on to the character to make your rhino morph from, and provide it as just a morph, then there's some trouble. Because you're providing (potentially) some of the functionality of a copyrighted morph pack to your customers without their having to buy the original (copyrighted) morph pack. That's at the ehart of this whole deal I suspect - that although there's range in everything, there have to be black-and-white rules for everyone to follow. So from the DAZ POV if you "need" to purchase more than the base model to create a unique "character" then people you want to share this with should NEED to purchase the same add-on pack to re-create your design faithfully. Does that help or make it worse? (sorry - answered a tech support call in the middle so may have got lost).