Forum: Community Center

Subject: Photoshop Gallery Needed. Please Consider.

Grimtwist opened this issue on Feb 21, 2003 ยท 63 posts

dialyn posted Sun, 23 February 2003 at 12:19 PM

I don't know...this thread gives me the impression that the people using Photoshop believe they are doing better and more creative or more unique work than people are doing who use Paint Shop Pro or other 2d software. It is absolutely possible to do graphics other than clipwork/photograph maniupulation and postwork with any of these 2d software programs. But it doesn't seem quite fair that Photoshop be given its own gallery and Paint Shop Pro (which is soon going to go to version 8 with some very impressive upgrades) gets dismissed as being somehow less just because it isn't as expensive. The fact is a mediocre artist will create medoicre art no matter how wonderful the software is, while someone of talent will be able to create even with inexpensive software. The whole business of separating galleries by software is a little silly to me since so many of the graphics really belong in mixed medium even though most of us don't post there. If you manipulate a photograph in Photoshop, isn't that mixed medium since it combines photography and Photoshop? I really think some of the underused galleries should be combined or eliminated. I don't really care if Photoshop has its own gallery or not because I'll never own Photoshop, but I guess if the demand seems to be there, that's what will happen. I don't think giving Photoshop an exclusive gallery will keep out the scans and the melting pot atmosphere...unless you have the mistaken impression that all people using it are "real" artists while people who are using anything else aren't.