Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: books on creating 3D comic books?

LonRanger opened this issue on Feb 25, 2003 ยท 9 posts

Quoll posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 2:12 PM

First, I will say that I fell that ANY book by Mortier is not worth it, and the 3D Comix one is no exception! I would echo a post above by saying that you should look into books about creating traditional comics and then simply apply those principles using 3D programs. I don't think there are any books on 3D comics, but I could be wrong. The best book in the world, IMHO, is called "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud. Not only is will you learn a lot about how comics work but you will also get a great history of comics and art in general, and the book is an invaluable reference to graphic design in general. ANY artist would benefit greatly from reading this book. Next I would suggest looking up books on drawing, such as "how to draw comics the Marvel way" and other similar titles. This will give you insight into how traditional comics are constructed from step 1 to final coloring and they usually include info on perspectives, staging, composition, frames, page layout, etc. Great stuff. And finally I would recommend a book called "The Writers Journey" by Christopher Vogler. This book gives the story teller a great set of tools to use for creating complete stories of any kind that really move an audience. The book is a fairly easy read and the information in it is possibly more valuable to you than any of the other books on comics themselves. Best of luck! It's easier than it sounds to make 3D comics and fun as can be! I recently made my first ever 3D comic and now I'm hooked! I made this using Poser characters rendered in Vue, with some Lightwave models thrown in for sets and props.