Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Intellectual Property and Releases (Or Who Owns What?)

bast opened this issue on May 25, 2000 ยท 18 posts

ScottK posted Fri, 26 May 2000 at 12:42 PM

I have a problem with the statement that the rule of thumb for original work is that which is 51% your own. This is still a derivative under copyright law. The 51% statement is misleading. Using an analogy: Say I took a photograph of a landscape that included mountains, a lake, rolling hills and a large area of sky. Now lets say that someone takes that photograph, crops out the mountains and lake and inserts them digitally into a photograph of his own. Lets say that the inserted portion of my photograph is only 25% of the new, digitally manipulated photograph. This new photograph is a derivative of my work and is a clear violation of copyright. The same holds true for someone taking a Zygote mesh, doubling the number of vertices and adding 30 morph targets. This also is a derivative work and is a violation of copyright under Chapter 13, Section 1309. Copyright law is a complex beast that I deal with frequently. I suggest that if a copyright FAQ is to be posted in a forum, the very first thing that should be noted is the source for the ACTUAL Copyright Law. It can be found here: http://www.loc.gov/copyright/ In addition to the actual text of the law, there are guides for the layperson as well. Another good source is the book, "Mass Communications Law in a Nutshell," by T. Barton Carter, Juliet Lushbough Dee, Martin J. Gaynes Respectfully, ScottK