Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Intellectual Property and Releases (Or Who Owns What?)

bast opened this issue on May 25, 2000 ยท 18 posts

chadly posted Fri, 26 May 2000 at 7:50 PM

This is a cool thread! Thanks for taking on a project like this, Liz. At Zygote we're always happy to see people concerned about these types of issues, of course. I keep realizing more and more how ill-informed most Poser users are concerning the legalities of data and binary copyright. If I can, I'd like to add a little, too. Feel free to quote me anywhere else this subject is being discussed. Like Scott said, copyright infringment of software code (including 3D models) is not measured in percentage of change, as it is for traditional media or binary images (not to mention music, stories, etc.) Even a small amount of usage of someone else's programing code is illegal. For example, if I wanted to write a program that had the exact same features as Adobe Photoshop I could, of course, do that. However, if I took even a few lines of code directly from Photoshop and put them into my new code it would be illegal. (Much less starting from Photoshop's actual program code and then going through it to make modifications here and there until I felt I had hit the 51% different mark.) That having been said, you will probably see why it is still perfectly legal to make, sell, and/or give away a "plug-in" program for Photoshop (authorized by Adobe or not). Users will still need to buy Photoshop itself for any add-ons to be useful. As I said, copyright infringment of 3D computer model data is determined the same way as software code. Someone can change models to the point that they think they will be unrecognizable the makers, but they are still stealing from whomever created the model. As far as the "plug-in" analogy goes, if someone modifies one of the models included in Poser, for example, (ie: creates a morph target for that model) then they are working within the Poser license agreement. It is also OK if they want to sell or give away their work (morph targets) to others who have purchased Poser (since they also own a license to the same models). This is, in fact, benefical to all parties involved and makes Poser a more desireable product. They are essentially paying the person for their changes to the model and not for the original model. Problems arise when people modify models (to create morph targets, new models, or whatever) and then pass those changed models along to users who have not purchased the original models. (For example, as a free downloadable model rather than in a format which requires posession of the original model, such as .cr2, .pcf, etc.) Obviously, there is no way that any company or individual can make sure that everyone is following the terms of their license agreement. Zygote appreciates all the efforts you people in the Poser community have made to prevent violations of model license agreements (Zygote's and otherwise). Thanks. -- Chad Smith Zygote Media Group