Forum: Community Center

Subject: Voting on Gallery Uploads

tammymc opened this issue on May 01, 2003 ยท 351 posts

ShadowWind posted Mon, 05 May 2003 at 8:15 AM

Ecstacy,
There are several reasons for arguing against a pro or master's gallery (and no it's not on topic as it doesn't relate to the upload gallery limits). However, you've been here long enough to know that competitions where one artist is deemed better than the others always ends up in major arguments. Heck, we can't even take a poll without a major war breaking out.

1> Rosity is a store first and foremost, unlike the other gfx sites. Being that they are a store, there is some degree of customer relations that have to be maintained. You, and many others sell in the store. Do you really intend to diss your customers by creating a master's gallery that they may not be "qualified" to someone's standard to display in? To me, that would be a public relations nightmare for Rosity and would do nothing but hurt sales.

2> By declaring that these are the masters and these aren't, you are basically stripping any artist not deemed worthy to viewing Siberia. As someone mentioned earlier, how would new artists be able to climb through the ranks? Especially if they never get viewed. Honestly, I know a lot of artists that I consider very original, creative, and IMO masters, but they are usually not on the radar when it comes to honors here. We all have different opinions as to what constitutes a master, so...

3> Another argument, one that seems to be most prevalent in competitions, is the techniques used to create an image and that would also cause much contention for such a gallery. Is an image that was completely modeled, but maybe not quite as slick as a perfect pre-bought render be considered masters? Would a handpainted image be considered a masterful work against the perfect render? Is the image a photo manipulation or truly created from scratch? Is a master at a renderer that does no postwork, more valid than one that does? Is the image original or is it another Vicky in a temple, no matter how well constructed the scene is? All these dynamics of the Rosity gallery make it difficult to create such a gallery without pissing off a lot of people. I am not saying that anyone's art, regardless of the technique, is less worthy of being called art. I am merely pointing out the reason competitions usually end badly and why this probably would too.

So why make the distinction, to stroke some egos? We all learn from the mix here and I think it would be a shame to create a class distinction pitting what someone deems the haves and the have nots against eachother.

And that is the reason I would argue the Master's Gallery Ecstacy.

ShadowWind