Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Okay I want to know if you know.....how many good modelers....

SAMS3D opened this issue on May 13, 2003 ยท 50 posts

hauksdottir posted Tue, 13 May 2003 at 6:13 PM

Sharen, It wouldn't matter what you were selling or giving away... if someone didn't have enough imagination and skill to make a product people wanted s/he would find an excuse to blame folks who are already out there producing. The "we were pushed out by the glut in the market" excuse doesn't wash. If so, then not one of the game companies would be making baseball, street fighter, or run-through-the-halls-and-shoot-it games. Guess what 95% of the shelves will be filled with this holiday season? I can hardly wait for the anti-hero with the rocket-powered baseball gun. :deep sigh: Those letter writers ought to examine the market (if they want to do this as their day-job) and try to create items we don't currently have, identify and establish a trend, or build a world of stuff featuring their particular "look". It is the same as any business opportunity. A hobbyist can do whatever they feel good doing and be delighted when others share that interest... and hope that it grows into a business. A business-person needs a plan. For example... in another thread the Christians were saying that they were a market, waving their wallets as a reason to get a gallery for their specific biblical images. If I were a modeler, needing a market, I could look at that opening and do a bit of research. Period stables for creche scenes? nada. Portions of The First, Second, or Third Temple? nada. Herod's Palace? nada. Roman tribunals? nada. Roman dice? nada. Carpentry shops with rustic near-eastern tools? nada. Palm leaves? nada. Money-changers and pigeon-sellers? nada. There is a quote on my fridge about never under-estimating the Christian market, because it is a hell of a business. Somebody is missing out on an opportunity to authentically build, furnish and dress and SELL a biblical world simply by providing what doesn't yet exist to an self-identified market. That is just one example. Off the top of my head I can think of a dozen other universes where there is a demonstrable market elsewhere and no related Poser props. Instead of complaining about lack of customers, and blaming the competition, a merchant needs to offer an attractive product. If they are smart about it, they will design a product line to ensure a long run of sales. Carolly