Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Anyone up for a wee challenge?

polartech opened this issue on Jun 07, 2000 ยท 10 posts

buck posted Wed, 07 June 2000 at 3:03 PM

Here is a previous thread that I saved because I thought the approach outlined by rtamesisi was very clever. Hope it helps... 1. image to poser prop by hunglikachicken on 04/09 11:41 can anybody tell me how to take a photograph of somebody's face and turn it into a poser head if at all possible. 2. Re: image to poser prop by rtamesis on 04/09 12:07 Take photographs of both front and side views at the very least under good lighting to get good detail and reduce shadows. Do not change the distance of the subject from the camera; you want to be able to match each feature between the two pictures. Use at least an 80mm-100 mm lens to minimize distortion, and zoom in to the head. In Poser, import the pictures as backgrounds for the different views; you can always switch backgrounds when you switch views. Zoom and position your Poser figure's head till it closely matches some reference point in the photograph, for example the eyes. Do that with the other view as well and don't change the camera settings thereafter. Once you've got all that set, load up some morphs and start fiddling away until you're satisfied with the appearance. You'll have to switch rendering modes frequently; I usually use the outline, the wireframe, and the full render modes to see what's happening. Also, you'll have to switch back and forth from front to side view to see what's happening too. It takes a lot of patience and experimentation with different morphs to finally achieve the look you want. Good luck! 3. Re: image to poser prop by buck on 04/09 13:56 [Delete] Neat technique, rtamesis... Would you then recommend building a facial texture from the photo to render with?? buck 4. Re: image to poser prop by rtamesis on 04/09 16:11 That would certainly help. Again, take lots of close up photographs to capture as much detail, and arrange your lighting in your studio to minimize shadows. You'll have to use a graphics app like Photoshop to adjust the contrast and to essentially assemble a mosaic of the photographs over the facial template and make them fit over each feature, i.e. lips, nose, etc. Paul Hafeli, I believe, has the best photorealistic textures around, and you can take a look at his work to see what I mean (also at BBay, where he sells some of them). You probably should be using texture maps at least 1400x1400 or higher if you want to capture the most detail in your Poser figure, but that may be limited by the amount of RAM available in your computer. Others here have said that tiff files are far better than jpg files because they have less pixelation; the only problem is that they are huge and demand more RAM to load into your Poser figure. Good luck!