Forum: Vue

Subject: Co-operation Between Vue and Xfrog A Real Possibility!

Veritas777 opened this issue on May 24, 2003 ยท 10 posts

forester posted Tue, 27 May 2003 at 11:38 AM

I agree - this really sounds like a diplomatic put-off. I am a professional programmer. Since xfrog exports to 3ds and to obj, it should not be a big task to develop an exporter function for Vue, or to create a function that xfrog would sell, that would allow for conversion of their pre-made trees for Vue. It is a much more substantial task for the Vue people to create a plug-in that would read the xfrog tree file format directly. And, it would cost a fair amount - so there's probably not a real incentive on the Vue end. On the other hand, while Vue's own tree generator is an absolute marvel (faster than greased lightning, wonderful random seed process, etc.), they do really need to add some more basic tree types, or something. There are more than a million tree species. Vue is coming into wider use in the world. But we can only do so much with leaf transparencies, and we've just about exhausted that facility. The inability to have a decent bamboo tree form is holding up sales in Japan, as nearly as I can tell. (Vue's "bamboo" looks a lot more like poor cane grass than bamboo.) OK, just an opinion. But it doesn't sound good - this response you received. Personally, I think we need to go purchase xfrog, and maybe one competative set of products I've located for specialty items. (The bamboo generator costs as much as xfrog pro, but its a marvel.) Its probably important to tell both Vue and Greenworks that there is demand for compatibility between their products. Xfrog can do something about this more cheaply than can e-on software, but I wouldn't hold my breath.