Forum: Bryce

Subject: Eric Wenger's new landscape app (Mac only)

dan whiteside opened this issue on Jun 06, 2003 ยท 25 posts

amrosario posted Mon, 09 June 2003 at 10:31 AM

I'll buy two copies of that software when it's released!

All I can say is wow!. The landscapes look great. The clouds are a little "veiny" looking, IMO.

Bryce is/was very dear to me. I first got into computer graphics when I saw a demo at IBM HQ in NYC. They were showing a fractal landscape image with a rising and lowering tide. I was besides myself when I saw it.

At that time, I owned an AMIGA computer and there was no fractal programs at that time. Eventually someone came out with a little program called Scenery Generator. I bought it in a heartbeat. Eventually, Vista and Vista Pro were released on the AMIGA. I got those too.

Some point later I moved to Apple Macs. I used Vista Pro at first until I saw the first version of Bryce. I almost cried (really). That was THE program, the reason I got so hooked into computer graphics. I felt as if the program was built specifically for me. It was a long wait but a worthwhile one. I've been using Bryce ever since.

[Some background info - I'm a photographer who also loves CG and I use it in my imagery all the time. Some samples - go to http://www.amrosario.com and search around. All the CG stuff I did (and those are older images) I did with Bryce.]

Anyway, I realized that it wasn't just the program that inspired me but it was also Eric W's vision. When I see that he is working hard on another program, I get excited all over again. When I saw those images of the beta software, I got that same feeling I did when I first saw the IBM fractal image.

At first, I was very unhappy to hear that Corel is stopping development of the Mac version of Bryce. Now, I think that I can turn that around and have something to look forward to.

I owe so much to Eric's vision and his work that I cannot even begin to quantify.

Thanks, Eric!