Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: WTF??? whats this place coming to?

Blackhearted opened this issue on Jul 03, 2003 ยท 186 posts

lmckenzie posted Sun, 06 July 2003 at 5:05 PM

"...how about making an "ault-only" section..." Well, aside from the aforementioned problem of deciding what get's sent there, it is a good idea. If people could agree on the criteria, then perhaps the majority would be OK with it. It's true that "adult oriented" items are a reality. Renderosity makes money off them and vendors who want to make money don't want to be relegated to the much smaller market at Renderotica. I imagine that most people don't have a problem with their existence or sale. Some people have a problem with ad images but since thay can turn them off, I don't understand that complaint. For all those at wotk (on lunch or ligitimate business I assume :-), a "clean" config on the work PC should do the job. There are a few people who just don't like the stuff and want it to go away but I'd bet they are in the minority. I base that on the fact that everyone who complains in these situations is at pains to assert their lack of prudery, love of (tasteful) naked Vicky, etc. :-) So, an "adults only section seems reasonable to me. To the PTB though, it's probably doesn't seem so good. Having such an option might tarnish the family friendly image, a concern I can understand. It would also mean more work to administer it for perhaps no great increase in revenue. I don't know how many people sell at Renderotica but not here because they feel that Renderosity isn't friendly to their products. I suspect that kinky S&M appliances and such would never be accepted, even in an adults only section here. Since some are unhappy with some of the banners as well, it would be great to have a global setting in the profiles that would only serve up PG banners in addition to blocking "adult" content in the MP. I don't think that would be a great problem from the technical side but I haven't used the software so that's speculation. The problem, again, would be deciding which banners get the adult rating - one more job for the admins. It would also cause more threads with merchants complaining that thier banner shouldn't have gotten the "AO" rating. That's not a knock on Blackhearted - I don't see why in the world his banner was considered "obscene." It does illustrate the potential (probable) can of worms that would be opened. It's a very good idea from a standpoint of making money, giving customers products they want, artistic freedom and common sense IMO. As to whether everyone involved would be mature enough and practical enough to pull it off without a long, bitter and unresolved war, that, I'm not so sanguine about. Can you say image posting limits redux?

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken