Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: WTF??? whats this place coming to?

Blackhearted opened this issue on Jul 03, 2003 ยท 186 posts

lmckenzie posted Mon, 07 July 2003 at 12:14 PM

I agree 100% that the non-verbal/non-visual nature of this form of communication leads to many misunderstandings. It's also just difficult to determine whether someone you really don't know except though this medium is joking or who might be upset by the joke, however well intentioned. I don't know about the brats thing but I've on occasion referred to children as 'little buggers,' without meaning to imply that they were sodomites. As they say, to err is human... "My list is some of the actual items that are removed from textbooks and tests in America." Heck spit, half the ones on my list probably are too. Add talking animals as well. Somewhere people wanted 'Charlotte's Web' pulled because, well I guess because talking spiders just ain't right. illusions, my nomination of Blackhearted was semi-humorous (forgot the smiley face). I was serious though in saying that the categorizations don't matter to me. Given my skill level, any gyno-goodies I made would be so incomprehensible I dare anyone to be offended by them. If they want to label it 'Pervert's Paradise' and stick lace nighties in there, as long as I can see it. From my PoV, it's a reasonable compromise. I'm sure it's not the ideal for either side but it sure beats the alternative of not being able to see what I'm buying. Only once in a blue moon does anyone complain about an image being too violent or racist etc. but s e x. oy vey, it's a constant smouldering bed of ashes that flares up regularly. If Poser didn't do people, the problem wouldn't exist but then most of us probably wouldn't be here. People's emotions on the subject are strong and varied which is why, ultimately, I have to disagree with the jaywalking v. bank robbery anology. It's a continuom and making an ex cathedra pronouncement that everyone certainly must see that X if offensive and Y is not just isn't the way people operate. Saying that it is, at best, devalues the right of others to have their own opinions and feelings and at worst, it really does come off as rather an insult. At any rate, you dudes and dudettes keep at it if you like but bring in another horse, the original one is starting to smell quite rank now, and the flies are probably a health hazard.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken