Forum: MarketPlace Customers

Subject: Confused about pirated products sold on the 'sity.

pdxjims opened this issue on Jul 08, 2003 ยท 48 posts

bijouchat posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 12:34 PM

Attached Link: http://www.bbbonline.org/reliability/code/principle4.asp

Principle IV: Customer Satisfaction Online merchants should seek to ensure their customers are satisfied by honoring their representations, answering questions, and resolving customer complaints and disputes in a timely and responsive manner. -- bijou's comment this is the case with Renderosity, no problems here) -- Honor Representations: Online merchants should comply with all commitments, representations, and other promises made to a customer. -- bijou's comment this is the case here too -- Answer Questions: Online merchants should provide an easy-to-find and understand notice of how customers can successfully and meaningfully contact the business to get answers to their questions. Online merchants should promptly and substantively respond to the customers commercially reasonable questions. -- bijou's comment this is the case, when its not a difficult situation. When these warez problems crop up... then I see a pattern of 'cover yer backside' ... that doesn't inspire confidence in customers, and its showing in these threads. Stop doing that. Be up front and accomodating to the customers, even if it means you have to bite the bullet and issue them a store credit. They've been ripped off too... and nobody wants to see them lose confidence in the marketplace here. I've watched big companies ruin themselves with a bad attitude in these situations... don't do it! -- Resolve Customer Complaints and Disputes: Online merchants should seek to resolve customer complaints and disputes in a fair, timely, and effective manner. -- bijou's comment read above... as I said. Be up front, be accomodating, issue the credits when you know these people have been cheated. They will come back and buy from you again... their good will is worth the investment. -- Online merchants should provide an easy-to-find and understandable notice of how a customer can successfully and meaningfully contact the business to expeditiously resolve complaints and disputes related to a transaction. Online merchants shall have an effective and easy to use internal mechanism for addressing complaints and correcting errors. Examples include fair exchange policies, return policies, etc. In the event the customers complaint cannot be resolved, online merchants shall also offer a fair method for resolving differences with regard to a transaction by offering either an unconditional money-back guarantee or third-party dispute resolution. -- bijou's comment read what I said before ... we need an official fair exchange policy in CERTAIN situations. The warez situation is where a fair exchange policy is called for. People will buy without fear then. Be prompt, be accomodating... your customers are what pays the bills here, its not worth getting them all upset. You could withhold a percentage of profits from new vendors for insurance, that can be repaid after a period of time... say six months or a year. That can help insure you in such a situation like what's happened here. -- If an online merchant offers third party dispute resolution, it should use a trusted third party that offers impartial, accessible, and timely arbitration that is free to consumers or at a charge to consumers that is not disproportionate to the value of goods or services involved in the dispute. Online merchants should provide customers with easy-to-find and understandable contact information for such third parties, including a link (or similar technology) to any third party sites used for such means. -- bijou's comment I can imagine this is a case for the copyright problems with certain vendors... but for us, I think a fair official return policy in these warez situations would be the right answer. that way you don't have your customers worrying about it, a worried customer buys less, and that's not a good thing. my two cents observation, as a former retail manager. I think I might have learned something in my years of grunt labour... anyway.