Forum: MarketPlace Customers

Subject: Confused about pirated products sold on the 'sity.

pdxjims opened this issue on Jul 08, 2003 ยท 48 posts

Kendra posted Fri, 11 July 2003 at 10:21 AM

"If I ran this site, I would cease doing business with you, because you are causing potential customers to doubt the legitimacy of this marketplace."

Actually, Connatic, the root cause of that belongs to those who have sold items they had no right to sell. I didn't agree with Steffy either but spoke with her in an IM. I understand what is born out of frustration. We all act in a way we might not normally in these situations. (trust me, I cussed out a few Hewlett-Packard service tech's last night and that's not normal for me)

Renderosity needs to do something about situations like these and I do believe they are working on it. Give them time. Someone ripped off could simply grant the victims that license to use but if the number of purchasers is large, that could mean a huge blow to the original artist. To completely discount their situation is pretty hypocritical of you I must say as the customers are not the only victims in this situation.

Instead of 'me, me, me' we need to be more productive in suggesting ways to avoid this. Personally I don't agree with Steffy's idea of assuming all new merchants are potential thieves (I know, the comment was born out of frustration) or holding back payment for a period of time.
Perhaps a database of body textures with 2 specific people who test only these items and can compare specific areas during testing.
With so many reference photos and seemless skin textures in the marketplace now we're bound to soon have similar textures built from these tools. The last thing we need is someone crying wolf in the forums and ruining someone's very legitimate reputation because they used the same breast or lip photo that both had purchased and had a right to use. Should the artist specify the reference photo's? Maybe. I don't particularly care for that idea but I would have no problems letting R'osity testers know what was used.
Testers could do a 'Renderosity Background Check' on new merchants who suddenly upload a well done body texture with no real history to this site. I'd even suggest they do the same check on other sites as this isn't the only community there is.

There's many better ways to handle this, on all levels, than what's going on right now.

...... Kendra