Forum: MarketPlace Showcase

Subject: So, you want my money

lalverson opened this issue on Jul 13, 2003 ยท 16 posts

Spanki posted Sun, 13 July 2003 at 2:00 PM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?Who=Spanki

I thought I'd re-post a few (edited) snipits from the merchant forum thread... When I browse the marketplace, here's the order of events that might cause me to purchase a product (pre-assuming that I have some need/use for it, but related to my impulse buying): - Thumbnail First impressions can mean life and death. Poorly lit/composed or uninteresting thumbnails rarely get me to 'look inside' to see what the product is. - Price ok, so the thumbnail looks interesting enough, but I see by the thumbnail and package title that it's an overpriced [insert common packaging ideas here]... pass. - Product promo images Yep, the first thing I do is skip ALL the ad blurb text and view the images. If the first image falls flat for some reason, I don't always make it to the second and/or third. Each image should make me want to see the next. If it's a modeled product, consider showing wireframes, consider showing material zones, consider showng uv maps - all of these help me get a feel for what I'm buying. - Ad blurb / text Ok, so the images didn't scare me away and the price is either reasonable or can be better answered/quantified by reading the ad text. That text needs to now make me a believer. If it's just a file list, that's useful, but I can see that in your readme. Tell me what the special features are - better yet, list them (where appropriate) on your images so I don't miss them on the step above. - Readme file I often get a feel (rightly or wrongly) of the effort/thought put into a package by the readme file (and I don't buy anything without seeing that first). A readme file with nothing but a list of files in it doesn't inspire me to buy the product anymore than it (apparently) did you to create it. There are exeptions to this of course (depending on the complexity of the product), but seeing detailed installation instructions, usage tips, texturing tips, special considerations, etc. in there tell me you put some effort into the product. You also get extra credit in my book for being up-front about possible limitations of your product, along with any work-arounds or solutions. - Product Feedback This is not necessary for me to make a decision, but it can help persuede me if I'm on the fence. I might also go look at your other products - either to purchase something else - again, the little thumbnail(s) might be the only reason or (more often than I care to) to try to 'divine' some information about the current product I'm interested in (hint: don't make me go looking for details of your product in forums and your gallery renders - don't assume that I've been following it's development elsewhere. If it's a relevent feature or detail about your product, I need to see it somewhere in your ad). - Name Recognition I listed this last because of the particular way that *I* shop. I try to be objective and give new/unknown merchants the benifit of the doubt. I try to ignore who made it until I've decided whether I'd like to have it or not. If it seems pricey, or borderline for some other reason (not enough detailed info), "who made it" starts weighing in more heavily... Billy-T kicks me over the fence, Joe-Smoe might pull me back it (appologies if there's a Joe-Smoe vender out there ;). ...now, since this IS the Product Showcase forum, I don't feel bad about posting a link to my store ;). So the question is, do my own products meet my own standards? Ultimately, you'll decide with your purchasing dollars, but my answer is: I think I'm getting better about it and threads like this will help me do just that. Thanks, - Keith

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.