Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: So, you want my money

lalverson opened this issue on Jul 13, 2003 ยท 43 posts

BlueBeard posted Mon, 14 July 2003 at 8:05 AM

Hello, I am a merchant here, and I don't usually post, but here's a couple of thoughts you might toss around. 1) I have had enough negative responses about freestuff, that I will be reluctant about posting more. More and more merchants are starting to feel the same. I have found it better to "give" away add-ons or freebies to previous customers. 2) price versus value. There has been a lot of hype about discounted prices. One thing you might note, is that many times this is a price increase. Example: a merchant sells a clothing pak of 7 items for $10, and sales are disappointing. So this same merchant splits off 1 item for $2.50 or groups of two for $5, they sell like hotcakes. Yes the price is lower, but the cost per item is higher. Myself, I would rather pay $10 or more for a real comprehensive group, even if there are some that I will seldom if ever use. 3) Quality versus Quantity. "30 poses for $5" yeah, but whose poses? Are they really worth it? It is a time consuming process creating poses (for example) I have been working on one for over a month. This one is actually harder, because it is for more than one person. Question: Does this pose set center the figure about 0,0, so that it doesn't place your figure off in the back 40? Is each joint correctly posed? i.e. make that joint look unnatural, wrists do not twist, and elbows do not move sideways, (try your own joints) Sometimes more is less, and less is more. I have many many textures, and quite frankly most of them I don't use, because quality is worth it. The point about morphs is well taken! That is why I use a default Vicki and/or Mike to work up the base pose and save it. But, I don't stop there, I come back and "try it out" just as you would from scratch. lalverson makes very good points, I have known him for quite a while around here. I respect him and like him. But, I just thought that these were some of his best points, and I thought I might add some food for thought. NOTE: the thumbnails, I am horrible at. It seems my focus is on the creating part, I find that I just can't get into thumbnails!