Forum: Photography

Subject: Camera Purchasing

MrMichael opened this issue on Jul 23, 2003 ยท 10 posts

MrMichael posted Thu, 24 July 2003 at 10:42 PM

I wish to have at least one lens that's going to get me some great night shots. That's the secondary reason I chose the 50mm f1.4 lens (since all other 1.4's out there are larger/smaller focal lengths and much more costly). It will also give a great DOF to portraits, but would they look alright since it's the equivalent of an 80mm lens? As well, I'd really love to keep the 1:1 macro of the 100mm f/2.8 lens that I listed in the first post because I wish to explore macro photography. The difference between f/1.4 and f/1.8 is .7-stop? So, if I'm correct, one full stop is 2 times the light, giving the former a 1.4x light advantage ( 2 x .7 ) as well as having the shorter DOF. If I were to stay with the 50mm f/1.4 and 100mm f/2.8 macro knowing that I wish to capture portraits, night shots, and macro shots, what would be recommended as a third lens? What also needs to be kept in mind is that with those lens choices, there's no good lens that's going to allow me to take pictures where backing up isn't desired (since those lenses are 80mm and 160mm respectively). Would it be best to save up more and get the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens as suggested by DHolman in the fourth post? This would be ~$1145 total for the lenses + $1250 for the 10D = $2395 That's would be quite a bit to save up for. Just trying to figure things out so that I can get started. Thanks for the help thus far!