Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: HELP REQUESTED -- figure scaling

RnRWoman opened this issue on Jul 25, 2003 ยท 47 posts

Ian Porter posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 7:11 AM

Hmm. It looks like Dr Geep has deleted his posts in this thread, which I would have liked to have looked at again. I can see Ron has made a very forceful argument in favour of 1 Poser unit equals eight feet, backed up by a proof. In the interests of healthy debate I feel bound to follow this up, especially since I might make another measuring device. With all due respect to Ronstuff I am not convinced that the proof of 1 poser unit equals 8 feet is as incontrovertible as has been claimed. I do not have MAX, so I cannot replicate the process described here, however... As I understand it Ron, you create a cube in MAX which is eight feet per side, and then scale this down to one ninety sixth of its original size. This makes it now one inch per side. When this cube is imported into Poser it comes in at one Poser unit high. Does this not mean that 1 Poser unit is actually 1 inch in MAX? Since the Poser figures are all less than 1 Poser unit high this gives us a problem, because we expect them to represent humans. Since the P4 man is 0.75 Poser units high (therefore three quarters on an inch high in MAX, if no scaling factor is used), then applying a scaling factor of 96 times will make him six feet tall. However, we could for instance have chosen to apply a scaling factor of 144, and this would make him nine feet tall. I believe using the same proof above, you could make a cube in MAX, 12 feet per side, scale it down by 144 and then import this into Poser. It will come in at 1 Poser unit high, therefore following the proof 1 Poser unit could be argued to be 12 feet, and since the P4 man is 0.75 Poser units he would then appear to be 9 feet high. My point is that a scaling factor of ninety six times between MAX and Poser is convenient, in that it makes the P4 man six feet tall,and makes a Poser unit eight feet, but it is an assumption, which I think stems from a belief that he is six feet tall and cannot be proven to be correct in this way. I believe that CL or MetaC may have made a statement in the past, that the P4 guy is supposed to be 6 feet tall. I agree that a scaling factor of 96 times will make that figure six feet tall in MAX. But I don't think it can be proven mathematically, without standing on the foundation of 'The P4 man is six feet tall, therefore....' Having said the above I must also say that having the P4 man work out at six feet tall, and a Poser unit of eight feet suits me fine. It may be that I am missing something here, so please correct me if I have made a mistake. Constructively Ian