Forum: Writers

Subject: play-writing software?

tien_avielle opened this issue on Jul 31, 2003 ยท 15 posts

dialyn posted Thu, 31 July 2003 at 3:52 PM

I don't think anything will make it easy to turn a novel into a play format. The best that software like Story Weaver 3 can do is give you a framework for organizing your materials...but, frankly, you could do that with a pad of paper and a pencil and save $30. Best software? Make sure you understand the underlying structure of how plays are created (study plays and books on playwriting). If you have done that already, and I assume you have, then you have to strip the novel down to the bare bones of characters, plot, reduced settings (because unless you have unlimited funds, most theaters prefer one scene plays, or stripped down staging), and see if you can compact what may be the messy structure of a novel into the stricter requirements of a play. Take a look at the book "Working" versus the musical "Working" and see what was done to create the sense of Studs Terkel's book while streamlining it. You probably don't have the funds to create a "Nicholas Nicklebye" epic of six hours, endless sets and characters, that takes two sessions to show...that was an exception and not the rule. A lot of the decisions you need to make about creating a play have nothing to do with software. Now, if you just need the format of a play for a template, you can pick up any play at the library and create the structure in your word processing program. I'm not one for elaborate systems. Been there, done that, and never wrote a thing worthwhile but I sure wasted a lot of time playing with it. Sorry, that's probably not the response you wanted. Perhaps someone has better advice. I'm eager to learn if such software exists. Just because I'm unaware of it doesn't mean it doesn't. Good luck. :)