Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Fabric is a b*+ch.

_dodger opened this issue on Aug 05, 2003 ยท 6 posts

_dodger posted Tue, 05 August 2003 at 2:11 PM

Thanks LD B^) My technique cannot easily to tris for cloth. I crack open Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery and use it for comparitive reference in one viewport to create splines in the shapes of the peaks of the folds. Next, I go to another viewport and extend those splines into the third dimension so they wrap around realistically. Then I make a shape like a small cursive 'v' and lot it along each of these paths, then delete everywhere they overlap so that they don't, and start stitching them together using manual interpolation (select two vertices, shift-scale them (that's how you clone while doing something in Max), then keep scaling them till they are in the same place and weld them together, and you get a single vertex perceftly between the two you started with) to fill in the big gaps. The lofts output quads (and converting to editable mesh isn't the same, those are not hex-gridded tris, they're quad-gridded), and besides, even if tris work better for fabric, they also crunch too easily, and this is going to be a posable Poser conformer.