Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Resolution in Poser 4

Gawain opened this issue on Jul 12, 2000 ยท 10 posts

Nance posted Wed, 12 July 2000 at 9:13 PM

One of my fav recurrent threads because it tends to shake up the firmly held realities of hardcore Photoshop folks. Apologies to the old hands who have seen me do this song & dance before. Let me try it this way. There are no "inches" in a rendered image, just dots. So therefore, no dots PER INCH. Without the inches part of the equation, the DPI number is meaningless. Inches come in only when instructing a printer, not when rendering a file. A Poser file rendered at 800x600 at 72 dpi has exactly the same resolution (total pixels) as an image rendered at 800x600 at 300 dpi. Both are exactly the same, both are "800x600 pixels". Both files will be composed of the same 48,000 pixels and both can still be printed out across any number of inches of paper by subsequently telling the printer how many of those dots to print per inch of paper. You can change this scaling for printing, but that has no effect on the number of pixels in the rendered file itself. So, again, in Poser, the DPI setting has absolutely no effect on how the file is rendered.