Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: God the store is filling up with amature junk!

Mesh_Magick opened this issue on Aug 15, 2003 ยท 99 posts

fStop posted Fri, 15 August 2003 at 4:36 PM

umm, no - im not 'quality biased' against items that i dont buy. theres a lot of very well done stuff out there - was just looking at a car model that looks amazing for under $20, theres a wicked mech model, etc. i wouldnt normally use this type of thing in my renders, but i recognise the top notch quality and im considering buying them. what you make has nothing to do with quality. i could model something as simple as a high-res wine glass, set it up with morphs and excellent material settings, and i am positive i could market it based on its top notch quality. however, there are a lot of things in the store where its evident that people didnt put much time or consideration into, aside from an attempt to make a quick buck. "You also have to take into account the level of ability each person has. When I started with Poser, I bought light sets. Why? Because I didn't have a clue how to set up lights in my graphics. Now, I probably wouldn't buy a light set. For one thing, there are wonderful free light sets available and, for another, I can set up my own to my satisfaction (may not look like much of an improvement to someone else but I don't do graphics for other people). Same thing with textures and models. I don't do either so I buy them. If I ever got to a point of being able to do either, I would probably buy less. Oh well. I have a limit to my talent. I don't hurt you by buying what I need that is something you think is beneath you. " i agree. i would still buy a light set, however, if it were sufficiently complex enough and priced so that it would be valuable to me by saving my time. if it would take me 4 hours to put together just some of the light sets i need, then the $5 or 10 it costs in the store is worth it to me. but thats how i started out. i would create things for myself - my light sets, tattoos, textures, etc were just things that i had made for my own use and had been using for months. when people started commenting and saying that i should sell them, i finally did and they sold very successfully. btw - i dont just think that freestuff should be used as an 'initiation' for merchants before they get into the MP, but also as a continuing thing as a gift to customers. im working on several new things to put in freestuff actually (but need to find some place to host them), and i always update my older products even though it doesnt make me any money to do so - just as a gift to those that bought them. cheers, -gabriel