Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: God the store is filling up with amature junk!

Mesh_Magick opened this issue on Aug 15, 2003 ยท 99 posts

jjsemp posted Fri, 15 August 2003 at 5:00 PM

Wasn't there a website that wrote very detailed, impartial critiques of Poser-related software being offered here and at Daz? Now that was a GREAT idea! I think what Renderosity needs is a full-time "critic" to help wade through the morass in the marketplace -- just as a film critic wades through the large number of bad movies that come out every year. No doubt such a critic will be insulted, despised and accused of favoritism, just like real film critics are. But the bottom line is that this critic would ultimately steer buyers toward the really good stuff and away from the bad stuff. I've noticed in the past that if you say ANYTHING even remotely critical of anybody's wares, then they come down on you with swords drawn. But there is a lot of garbage in the marketplace and I've been burned a few times. Recently somebody posted a picture of a "work-in-progress" in the Product Showcase forum, asking for comments. I sent a message providing a link to a competing similar product, with the idea that the merchant's work-in-progress might benefit from seeing what's already there, and possibly do better (it was my subtle way of saying that the work-in-progress wasn't all that great, in my opinion). Immediately some bonehead came down on me for doing this, complaining that I wasn't being nice or playing fair. I guess you're supposed to be all "ga-ga" over each new thing posted, even though it might look like crap. Being supportive is sweet, and it's saintly to be all warm and friendly in the regular Poser forum when a newbie posts an art image and asks for opinions and help. But when somebody is trying to get into my wallet in the Marketplace, then I'd like to have the freedom to be critical. I'd like to see the Product Showcase forum be less of a love-fest and more of a gauuntlet for potential merchants, so that their wares are truly ready for prime time when they go on sale. I'd also like to see a real, live critic give fair, honest, detailed opinions of what ultimately goes up for sale in the MP. Now THAT would really shake everything up overnight! -jjsemp