Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: God the store is filling up with amature junk!

Mesh_Magick opened this issue on Aug 15, 2003 ยท 99 posts

Mason posted Sat, 16 August 2003 at 2:02 PM

What I love are all the non 3d related items sold there. I still half expect to open the marketplace and find someone's rear left tire from their AMC Javilin for sale. What I am disappointed about is the lack of quality on some products and the lack of QA time. I can understand unforseen things happening ie an American product put on a French machine and it can't find directories etc. but having .bum files referenced or textures simply not found is out of line. Worst yet are clothes items that don't have the vertices welded. That's a huge pet peeve. Boy that Vicky suit looks great IF I DON'T BEND HER! But I've also see bad things from DAZ as well. One suit had a head band attached to the right collar instead of the head. I had to go into 3d studio and fix this myself or I'd have a fantom head band floating around every time I'd bend the figure. Also another pet peeve is lack of optimizing. Having meshes so vert heavy that they kill a 2 gig ram machine is unacceptable expecially if its an item like a belt or shoes or some such inocuous thing. Also having non character items being characters instead of props is a pain. A necklace should not be a conforming character if it does not bend. Earings should not be conforming characters. Same with bracelets. I have a wrist watch sitting in one of my articulated prop character dirs I will probably never use cause its a character; for a watch! Now if Poser had a way to filter the characters on its pick list so it could only show the root figures instead of every clothes item then things would be easier. And what is with the constant focus on the same things over and over again. Talk about market saturation. How many skin texture sets does the market need? I would imagine 4 or 5 good ones would cover 90% of the requirements but every other day there's a new "Brandy" or "Mindy" or "Bambi" or "Babette" character with "super high res textures made from real human skin!". Why would someone think they are going to make money introducing yet another skin texture and compete with the other 50 or so sets for sale and the other sets for free. Hey here's an idea. How about an overlay makeup pack for P5 material nodes. Now that would be useful. Some set of BW nodes that do an add or multiply and you can set their colors for blush, eyeliner, eyeshadow etc instead of having 12 face textures mixed and matched on sheets. Great way to give any p5 Vickie figure make up without munging the original texture to do it. The material nodes have tons of possibilities from bruise overlays to tattoos to cuts/scratches/ to sweat... all without duplicating someone else while providing a unique item for sale.