Forum: Fractals

Subject: Unfriendly

fraktal_freak opened this issue on Aug 19, 2003 ยท 95 posts

peapodgrrl posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 9:49 PM

Ours is a politically correct world gone mad. We fearfully use tepid euphemisms to describe everything from blindness ("sight challenged") to job descriptions ("sanitation consultant"); we are so afraid of "offending" others that we couch our words in meaningless pablum and false niceties that succeed in neutering any meaningful communication. God forbid anybody is forced to hear even a scintilla of truth; no honest expression is allowed lest they become "offended" by someone with the temerity to gasp express an honest thought. You see forty some odd posts in this thread because you are watching human expression and candor in action--the enthusiasm for an honest exchange of opinions is evident in its length. Look how the dam bursts when phony politesse is exchanged for real discourse.

When you go to a public discussion forum or community and actively solicit commentary, you'd better be prepared for feedback. Though I am not a Christian, I took offense to a tawdry, sexual cheapening of a religious icon and said so. The recipient of my remark has shown that her art is only the least of the areas in which she is sorely lacking. And by the looks of this thread, I am not alone.

Mindy