Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Anti-Poser People :(!!!

Baron_Vlad_Harkonnen opened this issue on Aug 25, 2003 ยท 120 posts

BastBlack posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 11:04 PM

I agree with Bonni, who said, "Dismissing a tool or even a whole genre utterly out of hand because of some preconceived and poorly researched prejudices is the height of arrogance, as far as I'm concerned." I remember being attacked not too long ago (1989 to be exact) for using a computer to produce print pieces, and being told, "you're not a real artist if you use a computer." I ignored them of course, because I knew what the future was, and fear and ignorance isn't it. It's funny looking back now at just wrong they were. It's more efficient, and even better, graphic design and typography had an explosion of creativity! Photography, video editing, and animation are also undergoing a Renaissance. And now the frontier has moved to the Internet and 3D. I expect this trend to pick up speed. In a few years, we will all wonder how we got along without online art communities like Renderosity, and easy to use 3D programs like Poser. One more point I would like to make. The purpose of art is not to be a masterpiece, overshadowing all other art ever created. If that were true, nobody would ever make art, it would be too scary. Imagine a 2 year old comparing their humble scribbles to Michael Angelo, Monet, or Marvel Comics? I believe art isn't just about an end product. I believe the process of art is extremely valuable too, and good for the soul. It's about creativity, and creativity has many forms: sometimes it's problem solving; sometimes it's inventing a narrative; sometimes it's "connecting the dots" ; sometimes it's visual, motion, or lyrical poetry, and sometimes it's a way to explore a subject, investigate it, and know it. People who think only "good art" has a right to exist, or people who think computer art is not real art, are fools. Nevermind them, and get back to making art. It'll make you feel better. :) bB