Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Question about the market for DAZ studio ( Not a Joke)

wolf359 opened this issue on Aug 30, 2003 ยท 75 posts

Penguinisto posted Sat, 30 August 2003 at 8:02 PM

"Well if you accept that the great majority of poser users will Download the free D/S basic pose figures and render still images then wheres the market for the paid version???" Depends - (and this is all wishful speculation here): What if the plugins could be in-product posing thingies for other renderers (like Vue ferinstance), so that once you import a .pz3 file into the other proggie, you could adjust mesh figures on-the-fly within that proggie? I'd dearly pay for one that does that in Vue, or in Maya (without having to rig a biped first like you normally would in Maya/3DS/LW...) Or, say that a plugin does dynamics on both hair and cloth at the same time on ALL figures in a scene (based on weights assigned to those elements), so that all you have to do is get a scene ready, assign each item a given weight or rigidity factor, then let the plugin do it's magic? I know for fact that such plugins in the big proggies will cost you a TON of cash and still need tweaking occasionally. You could also have a plugin that applies gravity the same way, a plugin that does these things but spreads them out across animation frames, a plugin that does advanced animation tricks, a plugin that blends Mimic in on-the-fly, a plugin that will turn ordinary Poser clothing into deformable cloth, a plugin that creates and deforms flowing water, a weather plugin that lets you insert volumetric rain/snow/tornadoes/whatever, or how about a plugin that converts one skin texture onto another without tweaking an external proggie all day long? Hell - the possibilities are endless. I'm fairly sure that while a lot of folks will be fine and happy with the base package, there are just too many possibilities out there for code-monkeys to create plugins that folks will actually want. Given the open nature of the API's and the standards being adhered to, folks outside of DAZ could easily build stuff and sell it, too. Once folks begin whomping out some of the plugins that I'd mentioned, it will get the attention of folks both in the hobbyist world who want to give their art a little more oomph, and actual high-end artists who always look for a shortcut that saves them time and money. /P