Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Question about the market for DAZ studio ( Not a Joke)

wolf359 opened this issue on Aug 30, 2003 ยท 75 posts

lmckenzie posted Mon, 01 September 2003 at 11:31 PM

True. I see no reason for them to be bound by the Poser format. In the short term, it's pretty essential, but in the long term, I don't thank any company likes to be bound by someone else's infrastructure, especially a competitors! Working on their own, DAZ might decide to abandon obj as a base format, for something more capable. I'm sure there are a lot of innovative things they could do with the figure formats) as well. Of course, if Poser were still around at that point, the whole question of compatibility comes up. It's hard to see DAZ abandoning that market as long as it's still profitable so they'd have to think about some kind of translation facility or face doing double work to produce both Poser and DS studio versions of figures. It'll be very interesting to see how this all plays out. I really hope the market will be big enough for both products to coexist. I think for that to happen though, they will have to diverge enough in their focus to perhaps appeal to somewhat different groups of users.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken