Forum: MarketPlace Showcase

Subject: A quiet note of protest

littlefox opened this issue on Sep 08, 2003 ยท 41 posts

ChromeTiger posted Mon, 08 September 2003 at 6:23 PM

First off, well said, Littlefox...I applaud you. Second, people have often said I'm rather lucid and professional when addressing issues such as this, so...with that in mind, here's a little bit for both sides. I feel qualified to do this, because I am both a vendor, and a buyer. I've also spent several years in the Customer Support industry. I recommend that both sides of the fence read both portions...perhaps you'll gain a little insight, perhaps you'll think me an ass...but either way, maybe you'll think a little in a direction you may not have. ----- FOR THE VENDORS: Remember that humans are a tricky lot. You never know what's going to push their buttons, good or bad. All you can do is make educated guesses, or blind shots in the dark. Your job is to make a quality product, something you can be proud to offer, and something that at least someone out there thinks is a 'really neat thing'. Remember the adage "The Customer is Always Right". Then remember that that adage is complete and utter bull. The customer is never wrong, but the customer may be misinformed, may be misunderstanding something, or may be expecting too much. It is up to you, as the service provider, to try and politely bring the customer up to speed with the intent and direction of your product or service. Every businessman out there runs into the potential customer who simply cannot be satisfied. This is the nature of the game. Most of them will have attitudes to match. Also part of the game. One of the toughest things to achieve is to build a wall that those few cannot penetrate...to protect those buttons they they try to push. If they can't converse with you in a civil manner, they aren't worth wasting your valuable time with. Give them a polite dismissal, and get back to business. Remember it isn't the folks who badmouth your product without using it that matter as much as the people who are using your product, and the people who are genuinely interested in your product, and make it known through polite dialogue. These are your allies, and you want as many of them as you can get. ----- TO THE BUYERS: Remember that humans are a tricky lot. You never know what's going to push their buttons, good or bad. All you can do is make educated guesses, or blind shots in the dark. Your goal is to find a quality product, something you can be proud to own, and something that at least you think is a 'really neat thing'. Remember the adage "The Customer is Always Right". Then remember that that adage is complete and utter bull. Unless you created the product, or offer the service, you can't know everything about it, or how or why it exists. That's why you have a vendor to call on, to try and give you as much information as you want or need. Please understand that those vendors do their best to help everyone who asks, as completely as possible. Your time is important, so is thiers. Let them help, and listen to what they're offering. Every customer out there runs into the potential product that simply isn't what they want or need. This is the nature of the game. Giving the vendor a hard time about it won't change it. Ranting and whining won't change it. The product or service simply isn't what you're after. However, it may be perfect for someone else. Accept that it's not right for you, and continue your search for the product that is right for you. It's not worth bursting a blood vessel over. Remember that the vendors respond to constructive dialogue, delivered in a calm, civil manner, the same as you do. Harsh words, name-calling, and general bad manners will accomplish nothing in swaying a vendor to accomodate you. In fact, it tends to make them not do it, just because. If something can be done to make a product or service more desirable to you, ask for it. Politely. No one likes to be bossed around and told what to do, especially in their own turf. ----- Well, that's my 2-cents worth...actually, looks more like 10-cents worth...hope it doesn't sound too idiotic! CT