Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Those who like realism please look!!!

jeharsy opened this issue on Sep 14, 2003 ยท 68 posts

stewer posted Mon, 15 September 2003 at 11:32 AM

AND R8 render is a lot faster than 7! Are you gonna buy it for me? ;-) I know that C4D is a very fast ray tracer with a number of impressive illumination stunts, but REYES renderers are better at 3D DOF and MB - by design. REYES on the other hand is the inferior approach when it comes to ray tracing effects. Pixar's PRMan didn't have ray tracing until Nov 2002/Version 11. The previous version 10, released in Aug 2001 had neither ray tracing nor any global illumination features. The strobe effect in 2D motion blur is even worse if you have high-contrast textures. With a checkerboard texture, the scene above turns into a moire-mess. Object motion blur would have worked in this scene, yes, but it works only in very few scenes. 2D scene motion blur is expensive as it is rendering the whole scene multiple times (the image above is at 25x blur, btw), where 3D motion blur as performed by REYES renderers does additional calculations only where objects are actually moving. If you have Poser 5, try yourself: Take a still scene, render it once without and once with motion blur. Both will render equally fast. So, if you want to render e.g. a bullet shooting through your scene, there will be no additional rendering overhead for the rest of your scene. If you did that with 2d motion blur (which Poser 5 and ProPack also can do), you'll render the whole scene multiple times. jeharsy I know you wasn't comparing. We were :)