Forum: Carrara

Subject: newbie carrara question

Milaja opened this issue on Jul 29, 2000 ยท 16 posts

Tephladon posted Sat, 29 July 2000 at 7:21 AM

Good Luck with Carrara. I personally hate that program and I think that you will find yourself more frustrated as you use it. -Many of the key features in Carrara simply don't work. -It crashes alot when you try to perform specific boolean operations. -It crashes for no known reason at all many times. -The IK system does not use an object skeleton which is unheard of because that means that you cannot animate a solid mesh using IK. -Welding vertices sometime causes it to crash. -After the program has been running for about an hour, it runs like shit, and crashes again. -Support for Carrara is non-existant so you are left in the wind. -If it has not crashed or pissed you off to no end yet, it will, and then it will crash again. -The rendering engine straight sucks -The threads are crap! You could say that I need to check my machine but later I found that many others were having the same hangups. The problem with this program is that it was abandoned by Metacreations before it was complete so many of the features that would otherwise "make sense!" are not implemented. Why they even released it is beyond me other than to rake in every dollar they could get from the poor souls whom bought it. There are some very clever people whom has learned to work around all of its short-comings had have done some very good work with it. I think that the things that they have to work around are things that should have been addressed prior to release. I STRONGLY urge you to return this title and get something else because Carrara was thrown together at the end, lacks support and has a very uncertain future.