Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: adding to MATERIALS Library

madkat opened this issue on Oct 13, 2003 ยท 17 posts

mickmca posted Tue, 14 October 2003 at 4:02 PM

No martyrs here. As for "schisms," I don't know what you would call a situation in which a major upgrade to a product gets responded to with threats of a class action suit and the public announcement that the biggest supplier of 3rd-party products will not be supporting it or, to paraphrase, "installing it on our computers." And a situation where the parent company, desperately trying to recover from the backlash, re-markets the old version as Poser Artist, accepting the idea that a huge amount of its user base is going to refuse to upgrade. Whether the backlash was warranted, excessive, or fueled by some conflicting self-interests, it sounds like a schism to me.

And I wasn't suggesting that you were a schismatic, if that's how you took it. I can see why, as a DAZ broker, you might take it that way, but that's your interpretation. I was merely reacting to what seemed like a rather strange suggestion. As I said, the P5 folks have no trouble "getting it" that a question about the Materials library is addressed to them, so the suggestion is, well, rather strange. An OBJ file is not a Materials library; but you knew that.... Putting P5 in the subject line would have made what difference? As the poster said, "I thought this was a Poser forum." How many P5 questions have you seen in the forum that spell out P5 in the subject line?

Anyway, if you don't think there's a schism, more power to you. What I've seen, here and elsewhere, smacks of a witch hunt. If you missed the celebration, good for you; it was bloody, savage, and not especially uplifting.

Certainly DAZ has every right to not support anything they don't want to support, including the software that created their market and bought their bread and butter. If they ever release their Poser killer (having done a pretty mortal job on P5 already merely by announcing it at least a year prematurely), fine. I'll look, and maybe I'll buy. But I'd like to have more stuff for P5, and if you think DAZ3D's boycott of P5 has not hurt the overall market for P5 stuff, you should be wary of men selling bridges.